 Star Wars / 5164
Re: Panaka is yellow?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 15:52:30 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Dave Lovelace writes:
I'm sure the topic of race amongst mini-figures is an ancient one, but I just
wanted to hear theories from the more informed AFOL's this time.

I'm pretty sure TLG just wanted to circumvent any racial issues by making ALL
the heads "yellow."  There've been a few exceptions in the past, though...very
queer exceptions.  Most notably, there's a DACTA set featuring an Asian • family,
and the skin color is tan, presumably in a consequently-admitted side-stepping
of the inherent stereotype of "yellow skin."  I also recall seeing tan-hued
American Indians.

Panaka's character in SW:I is a black man; there are even pictures of him
inside the instruction manual, but his mini-fig is still the requisite yellow
in complexion.  His hands are brown (a new piece, by the way), but I would
assume these are gloved hands, otherwise I'd be even more troubled.  It's
almost as if Lego is showing the pictures, saying, "See?  This is the • character
you are playing with in the model.  Just in case you were confused..."

Is it really that big a deal to make brown mini-fig heads?  Would the
cartoon-like "black dot eyes and smile" imprint not show up well enough on a
brown piece, therefore making it necessary to use "white dots and a red • smile,"
making some kind of horrific "Sambo" effect?  As an artist, I'll admit that I
can't even figure out a solution here.

However, this appears to be a no-win scenario.  I just wish the whole thing
about "yellow is the official international Lego mini-figure skin tone" wasn't
a mysterious unwritten rule that we have to figure out for ourselves.

I apologize if this posting should have been elsewhere...it really was a
question which started with my little Flash Speeder set (I love green • pieces!).
I also apologize if at any point I failed to cover all the necessary bases • when
discussing a touchy subject like this.  I sincerely mean to defend, not • offend.

Dave  (jot and jab)
Who is to say thats panaka, I mean the pics at
the top of the instructions show other people too,
who is to discount the queen in regular getup.
I've heard (read?) that many townies use smileies (sp?)
for women too, who knows.  In most of the other sets,
when it's luke or Han or Padme it says so, so why don't
we think of him as similar to the A wing pilot, un-named.
-John Rudy