 Star Wars / 5117
Re: Panaka is yellow?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 16:23:04 GMT

However, this appears to be a no-win scenario.  I just wish the whole thing
about "yellow is the official international Lego mini-figure skin tone" wasn't
a mysterious unwritten rule that we have to figure out for ourselves.

I really think that what you have written hear gets to the root of the problem.
For one I agree with you that it would be nice to get some sort of offical
stance from LEGO regarding the issue but beyond that I think there are some
very sensitive issues hear.

Unfortunately I don't have the Flash Speeder yet as I am waiting for the after
Holiday sales so I can't address that set except to ask if the Character is
named in the instruction booklet where the instructions for the fig are?  In
all the other SW sets characters were named under the picture of the fig.  This
should tell you one way or another if TLC considers this Panaka.

In terms of the whole Yellow is Generic issue I think TLC is caught in a real
catch 22.  Having a license with Lucas or any other movie maker who uses a
multi racial cast presents problems.  If TLC were to suddenly release Panaka or
Lando with Brown Heads instead of Yellow what would that say?  I think it would
say that the Yellow figs represent caucasion folks and we have ignored other
races until now.  To me that sounds like trouble.  One the other hand if TLC
released Panaka or Lando with Yellow heads that would obviously say that Yellow
is TLC's generic skin tone no matter what the race.  This to has some inherant
problems in that there is a real differance in skin tone between races and I
think that is hard to ignore even though intellectually there are no
differances.

I think TLC's current solution for this problem is to avoid the issue all
together although with the Lucas contract I think they are going to have to
face it at some point.  I don't think TLC is looking forward to that time
either because either way they are going to upset people with their decision.

Eric K.

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/