 Star Wars / 379
Re: Thoughts on SW Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:46:55 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

OK, the first wave of sets features the following minifigs:

3 versions of Luke Skywalker

Four, I think. In 1999 s@h catalog, it is stated that, the pilots of both x-wing
and snowspeeder (with the allience pilot "Dack", yes snow speeder has a two-seat
cabin) are Lukes (what is the plural of "Luke"..:-P). There are also appeerantly
the other two, in speeder bike and land speeder sets.

Obi-wan Kenobi
R2-D2
R2-something else (apparently)

The text describing the y-wing set states it as "navigtor droid" so it should be
a generic R2. Y-wing's pilot also should be a generic one since he is called
only as "brave rebel pilot" in the same description text.

Darth Vader
Speeder Bike Troopers (what are they called?)

Scout Troopers.

Rebel Tech from Yavin base (with the Castle face)
Rebel Gunner from Hoth base (with a new face, I think)

He is also a generic one. Called as "Hoth trooper" in the descriptive text.

Selçuk

Biggs Darklighter[1]  (with the Town Waiter face)

I can't see the Y-Wing and Snow Speeder pilots clearly.  It kinda looks
like the Snow Speeder is piloted by Biggs.[2]  The Y-Wing I can't see in
at all, so I'll just assume it's also Biggs.

Why did I bother to go through all this?[3]  Simple.  There are only two
fig-faces that are from plain-human major characters.  One of which is
in several versions (sure, he was the hero, but so what? Where's the
princess/senator, I say!) I wonder: do some actors have contracts that
give them the right to authorize likenesses?  If so, could this have put
a put a crimp in the possibility of TLG releasing mini-fig versions of
all the major characters?  Either delays in getting authorizations,
extra fees, whatever.  I'd guess if Harrison Ford could exert some
control over toys that look like him, it could throw a few spanners in
the works.

Steve