 Star Wars / 380
Re: Thoughts on SW Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 00:39:10 GMT

Steve Bliss writes:
Why did I bother to go through all this?<footnote deleted>  Simple.  There • are only two
fig-faces that are from plain-human major characters.  One of which is
in several versions (sure, he was the hero, but so what? Where's the
princess/senator, I say!) I wonder: do some actors have contracts that
give them the right to authorize likenesses?  If so, could this have put
a put a crimp in the possibility of TLG releasing mini-fig versions of
all the major characters?  Either delays in getting authorizations,
extra fees, whatever.  I'd guess if Harrison Ford could exert some
control over toys that look like him, it could throw a few spanners in
the works.

I doubt any of the actors have that kind of control with Lucas. The big factor
is discerning which character it is, not which actor. General character
appearance attributes, which is all that we're dealing with here, such as hair
color, costume, height and build are critical, but not necessarily exclusive,
to the actor because such things are often written into the story/script
before certain actors are even considered(1). Could you tell it was Harrison
Ford as Han Solo or could it be Mel Gibson? The only thing we know for certain
is that (I hope it's certain) that the Solo minifig won't be played by Timmy.

I doubt that even Harrison Ford himself could legally sell pictures of himself
in Han Solo costume without Lucas' permission. Does anyone remember when the
actor that played the Lone Ranger tried to do this some years back?

-Tom McD.

(1) Though often a character is written with a specific actor in mind.