 Star Wars / 374
373  |  375
Subject:
Thoughts on SW Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:05:27 GMT

OK, the first wave of sets features the following minifigs:

3 versions of Luke Skywalker
Obi-wan Kenobi
R2-D2
R2-something else (apparently)
Darth Vader
Speeder Bike Troopers (what are they called?)
Rebel Tech from Yavin base (with the Castle face)
Rebel Gunner from Hoth base (with a new face, I think)
Biggs Darklighter[1]  (with the Town Waiter face)

I can't see the Y-Wing and Snow Speeder pilots clearly.  It kinda looks
like the Snow Speeder is piloted by Biggs.[2]  The Y-Wing I can't see in
at all, so I'll just assume it's also Biggs.

Why did I bother to go through all this?[3]  Simple.  There are only two
fig-faces that are from plain-human major characters.  One of which is
in several versions (sure, he was the hero, but so what? Where's the
princess/senator, I say!) I wonder: do some actors have contracts that
give them the right to authorize likenesses?  If so, could this have put
a put a crimp in the possibility of TLG releasing mini-fig versions of
all the major characters?  Either delays in getting authorizations,
extra fees, whatever.  I'd guess if Harrison Ford could exert some
control over toys that look like him, it could throw a few spanners in
the works.

Steve

[1] I think that's his name.  I haven't reread Star Wars[4] in awhile.

[2] I know, that's not possible.  He died in the first Death Star
battle.  That minifig must just be a generic Rebel Pilot.

[3] Besides the simple joy of categorization, which is near and dear to
the heart of many lego-head's.

[4] It was a novel by a guy named George Lucas.  It was released over
twenty years ago, so it may be out of print.