 Star Wars / 2698
  Just a question

I have my own answers about this, but a friend of mine asked (and genuinely wanted to know) why, in such an advanced technology state in which most of the SW worlds live, do they still ride animals? Obviously for the love/fun of it is one answer. (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

(...) I think the reasons are most likely economic. Dewbacks and banthas are probably much cheaper than speeders and starships. Although the SW universe is full of high technology it does come at a price that your average SW citizen can't afford. (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

Tom McDonald wrote in message ... (...) Well as an indigenous species they are used to living in the climate of Tatooine. Im sure its hard to keep speeders etc running in the harsh desert environment(similar to the problem with apache helicopters (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

What I think is even more strange, is why do they model high tech armored vehicles after bipeds and quadripeds? They have spacecraft that can take off vertically, hover, and travel at light speed yet they have Imperial Walkers? Little furry, (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

(...) I always wondered what the Star Wars universe had against the wheel. Other than Artoo, I can't remember any vehicals that use wheels. Joey (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

(...) Fear and intimidation. An AT-AT would have a great psychological impact. -- Terry K -- (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

Tom McDonald wrote in message ... (...) the (...) Cost efficiency?..:-) Selçuk (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

The Empire had to spend most of their money on the Death Star. Even the Empire doesn't receive freebies. Alan (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

(...) That's the explanation I've heard too. However, I'm less inclined than Lucas and Co. to allow that Snowspeeder cables and vines can bring down AT-ATs or AT-STs respectively. The logs, on the other hand, are part of guerilla warfare--and (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

The most plausible explanations I've heard sit much more comfortably with me than pure psychological impact. For one thing, consider how heavily armored these AT-AT vehicles are - according to all of the source material I've run across, nothing (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

(...) I think that was a style decision: droids have wheels, nothing else does. Except the Jawa Sandcrawler, which *needed* the tank treads to look right. Steve (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

(...) In the first part of the movie, Qui-Gon and Jar Jar are 'run over' by a repulsor-lift. So repulsorlifts *can't* work by pushing against the ground (at least, they must have enough smarts to prevent main characters from being crushed). But that (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

Maybe the repulsor-lifts don't cover the entire bottom of the craft, but are located on the outboard edges (where wheels would typically be located) for stability. A cargo carrying vehicle would want to maximize cargo space and putting the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

I have the Episode 1 Cross sections (I picked both books at Sam's Club for 9.98 Each!), it does have repulsor lifts, but it has "Kuat Premion Mk. II" power generators to power it. It has a maximum height of 4 meters, and the lifts exhaust gases are (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

(...) the (...) <SNIP> (...) Thanks for all the buzz on this. I suspected as much. -Tom McD. when replying, watch out for the bantha spamcake. (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 20:01:44 GMT, Richard Hrynyszyn uttered the following profundities... (...) The second line appeared on the next screen. I almost thought you were going to say they rode on dewbacks or banthas! (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999 16:16:35 GMT, Steve Bliss uttered the following profundities... (...) Just like tanks in any WWII movie you watch, they have just enough space where the main characters *can't* get crushed. (25 years ago, 2-Jun-99, to lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Just a question