 Star Wars / 2218
Re: Sith Infiltrator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 15:07:15 GMT

"Selçuk " wrote:

I've also noticed that before, when a guy posted a scan from newly printed
EP1 cutouts book, featuring Infiltrator's inside look (1). Its size looks
very close to Falcon, and this just gives some clues about "long awaited"
Falcon set of future. I just don't want to break down peoples sweet
dreams..:-)

Selçuk

(1) At least, according to this scan, Maul's speeder bike is stored in the
front mandibles of the ship, if I remember correctly, it is not a part of
the cockpit at the back of the ship and it consumes a very small part of the
ship in scale. Also ship has many storage areas for evil devices and some
serious living quarters.(2)

(2) I don't know how could TLG succeeded being approved by Lucasarts about
this set, but it also give clues about "how tight" the rumoured and
"trusted" Lucasarts control above the TLG is.

I think everyone realizes the scale and detail limitations of LEGO. A lot of
accurate details would make for sets that contain a lot of special pieces that
have limited use and increase price, vide infra. If a Millenium Falcon were
done on the same scale as an X-Wing it would be prohibitively exspense. I have
an X-Wing, a Snow Speeder, a Land Speeder, and a Naboo Fighter. While it is
apparent, even to me, that these models are not completely accurate (X-Wing
comes closest..I think) they are great LEGO representations of the Star Wars
vehicles. Considered just as LEGO sets these are the best sets to come out in a
while. The sets have a fair number of bricks for the price, but I am used to
the higher priced train LEGO. Additionally , there are real bricks with good
building value; already people are creating A-Wings and B-Wings (I'll need
another X-wing so I can make a B-Wing) from the pieces in the X-Wing set. Of
course, the play value is great; now, I need a Tie fighter to battle the
X-Wing.

The strange thing about the Star Wars LEGO is the return to a more classic LEGO
building style. While Lucasfilm Ltd. probably has control over the design or
approval of designs I would guess that what is really controlling these designs
is money. After all, "All Star Wars elements are property of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or Lucas Licensing Ltd." I would guess that LEGO has to pay a licensing fee
for any bricks created specifically to model anything from the Star Wars
universe. For example, the droids (R2 and the Battle Droids) the designs on the
minifigs, the helmets, the scanner binocculars, the light sabers, the nose
piece for the X-Wing, the blasters (laser things on the wings) the cockpit
canopies, maybe the engines (I doubt it with these), the cockpit displays, the
printed tiles. If LEGO uses a lot of regular bricks then no one can haggle over
who owns the brick. Thus, it may be less exspensive to create models with a
high piece count than to create models with specialty pieces which would
require LEGO to pay a licensing fee.

Anyway, just a thought.

Chris

[1]  Quoted from the side of the Snow Speeder box.

James Brown wrote in message ...
I just watched the trailer again (and again and again and again...), and
finally noticed something which filled me with a certain ominous • forboading.

The Sith Infiltrator, while not being as horribly out-to-lunch as the box
picture indicates, is seriously out-of-scale.

About a quarter of the way through the trailer, we see our buddy Darth Maul
striding down a ramp.  If you take a look, you realize that the ship he is
leaving is the Infiltrator - and the hatch he's leaving takes up maybe 1/3 • of
the rear height!  That would make the Infiltrator considerably larger than • the
model - by at least a factor of three.  Maybe I'm just behind the times, • and
everyone else noticed this and moved on, but I hadn't seen anyone comment • on
it before.

As someone else termed it - "unselective compression" indeed.  Realizing • how
horribly they've mangled the scale for the Infiltrator does not give me • happy
thoughts about a Millenium Falcon.

<shudder>

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/