 Star Wars / 2243
Re: Sith Infiltrator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 15 May 1999 04:23:08 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

The strange thing about the Star Wars LEGO is the return to a more classic LEGO
building style. While Lucasfilm Ltd. probably has control over the design or
approval of designs I would guess that what is really controlling these designs
is money. After all, "All Star Wars elements are property of Lucasfilm Ltd.
and/or Lucas Licensing Ltd." I would guess that LEGO has to pay a licensing fee
for any bricks created specifically to model anything from the Star Wars
universe. For example, the droids (R2 and the Battle Droids) the designs on the
minifigs, the helmets, the scanner binocculars, the light sabers, the nose
piece for the X-Wing, the blasters (laser things on the wings) the cockpit
canopies, maybe the engines (I doubt it with these), the cockpit displays, the
printed tiles. If LEGO uses a lot of regular bricks then no one can haggle over
who owns the brick. Thus, it may be less exspensive to create models with a
high piece count than to create models with specialty pieces which would
require LEGO to pay a licensing fee.

   Can I advance another possibility?

   This is the first time in a while that Lego has
   had to render an object faithfully as possible--
   barring Model Team and Technic, obviously--
   so they were put into the same constraints as
   most of the AFOLs here.  Namely, the set
   designers had to think of the most expeditious
   way to build the model required, rather than
   playing fast and loose in interpretations as
   with Town Jr. or more fanciful themes over
   which TLG has total creative control.

   So, basically, if the SW sets are constructed
   with pieces we might use, it's because for the
   first time in recent memory, they've had to be
   designed and built the same way that most of
   us do it!

   Just a thought.

   LFB.