 Star Wars / 16856
Re: MOC: Dewback
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 06:05:40 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Laswell wrote:

   Well, for a possible in-story explanation, if they didn’t have a regular garrison there (and it’s implied that they didn’t), they might have had the same trouble adjusting their speeders and such to desert conditions as the Rebels did adjusting theirs to the extreme cold temperatures. Since time was of utmost importance, if they didn’t have their own means of transportation, they would have had to acquire indigenous means of getting around.

Seems to me the indigenous form of transportation was speeders. I didn’t see Luke, or anyone other than stormtroopers for that matter, driving a dewback around.

If I was a stormtrooper I’d have commandeered something a bit more comfortable and rapid than a giant lizard. But that’s just me.

The simple explanation is that ANH predates both TESB and ROTJ, so maybe Lucas hadn’t considered the idea of ground-based assault craft yet when he okayed the Dewbacks, and cutting them completely for the SE release seemed a bit too revisionist, even for him.

I honestly don’t think it was anylised that far. I just like taking pokes at some of the more glaring illogicalities in the film. It’s still one of my favourites nevertheless.

   The likelihood that they’d have to care for and feed them without ever having a chance to use them doesn’t seem particularly efficient, in a society that already has means of getting around without such beasts.

Maybe they normally eat them and pressed them into transport duties merely as a last resort. Those kooky Imperials are just the type to be lizard-eaters.

Allister