 Star Wars / 16851
Re: MOC: Dewback
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:55:10 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.starwars, Allister McLaren wrote:
   And were the Dewbacks local or did they bring their own? It would seem unlikely that the All Powerfull Empire would have to scrounge up local transport,

Well, for a possible in-story explanation, if they didn’t have a regular garrison there (and it’s implied that they didn’t), they might have had the same trouble adjusting their speeders and such to desert conditions as the Rebels did adjusting theirs to the extreme cold temperatures. Since time was of utmost importance, if they didn’t have their own means of transportation, they would have had to acquire indigenous means of getting around.

The simple explanation is that ANH predates both TESB and ROTJ, so maybe Lucas hadn’t considered the idea of ground-based assault craft yet when he okayed the Dewbacks, and cutting them completely for the SE release seemed a bit too revisionist, even for him.

   but on the other hand a Star Destroyer doesn’t seem to be an ideal environment for the care and feeding of such beasts.

The likelihood that they’d have to care for and feed them without ever having a chance to use them doesn’t seem particularly efficient, in a society that already has means of getting around without such beasts.

I’m going to get my nerd on for a second (hey, I just got back from Comic-Con, so I’ve got SW on the brain!)...

Playing Star Wars Galaxies, there are two benefits of the Dewbacks versus speeders:

1. Hostile creatures can’t flat out and quickly destroy the Dewbacks, but they can the speeders

2. Speeders are great on flat surfaces, but on hilly environments, especially going up the side of a steep hill, the speeders really choke. In an hilly environment, the Dews are likely to be much better. (In SWG, Landspeeders sometimes won’t even make it up a straight hill going at it directly)

I’d also venture a couple other theories:
  • Dews can carry more than a speeder can
  • Dews are living off of *something* on Tatooine, so they don’t need “recharging” out in the middle of nowhere
Jake

---
Jake McKee
Webmaster - BIP