 Star Wars / 16854
Re: MOC: Dewback
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:31:08 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bill Pfund wrote:
   Dewbacks being local is more logical than Banthas. After all, lizards are good at adapting to desert conditions. Hairy animals not so good.

What about camels? Hair is protective against abrassion from sandstorms, from the extreme cold experienced at night or during the winter (though Tattooine, being a predominantly desert ecology, probably doesn’t have much in the way of cold winters, except maybe at those polar caps), and, in certain situations, probably from the baking intensity of the sun (notice how many residents of the Middle East still wear full-length robes with some form of head-cloth to protect themselves from the sun). Lizards do thrive in greater abundance and variety in desert conditions, since they can basically shut down during the cold temperatures, and they don’t produce their own heat during the hot temperatures. Maybe the banthas don’t have as much heat output as we do, so it doesn’t matter

   Indead - they are as big as an elephant, with no savannah grasses or trees to snack on to keep up their mass.

Now that could indeed be a problem. Still, dewbacks, tuskens, and jawas manage to find food sources somewhere, so it’s not inconceivable that the banthas would be able to as well. Especially those herds that are tied to the tusken culture.

   And the hair - I think the Banthas would be more suited for a wooly mamoth habitat than for an arid climate.

The arid climate isn’t the problem so much as the extreme temperature. Polar regions are also very arid, because the air is so cold it can’t sustain much in the way of humidity (that’s why your lips get chapped in the winter).