 Star Wars / 16855
Re: MOC: Dewback
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:27:56 GMT

   What about camels? Hair is protective against abrassion from sandstorms, from the extreme cold experienced at night or during the winter (though Tattooine, being a predominantly desert ecology, probably doesn’t have much in the way of cold winters, except maybe at those polar caps), and, in certain situations, probably from the baking intensity of the sun (notice how many residents of the Middle East still wear full-length robes with some form of head-cloth to protect themselves from the sun).

Camel hair is not as long and is more reflective than the dark hair of the Banthas.

   The arid climate isn’t the problem so much as the extreme temperature. Polar regions are also very arid, because the air is so cold it can’t sustain much in the way of humidity (that’s why your lips get chapped in the winter).

True - if the Banthas lived in a wooly mamoth habitat, it would be more tundra like than polar like. But I suppose the tundra can be arid to. I guess I was mostly dealing with the temperature aspect.

Bill Pfund