 Star Wars / 16844
Re: Set 10131 Tie Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:05:52 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Laswell wrote:
I'm wondering both
what the deal was that they're supposedly not allowed to do EU ships, and what
enabled them to get around it this time.

I'm afraid the TIE/D won't be an EU ship any longer after the release of the DVD
version of the Classic Trilogy...

I see three immediate possibilities
for why they weren't allowed to: 1. didn't want to spring for the full license,
2. legal stickiness over whether the EU designs all belong solely to Lucasfilm,
or if the licensing developers own a portion of the creative rights, or
3. the generally poor sales of Galoob's and Hasbro's EU stuff to the store chains left LF feeling it wasn't worth marketing any EU stuff anymore.

...I guess they added a TIE/D to the scene of the Trench Run in Episode IV.
To this conclusion I came after looking at the database picture of set 10131:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=10131_1&v=z
At Lucasfilm they have also added an Outrider to the Special Edition Trilogy on
VHS (departing from Mos Eisley) so there's a good chance they also added an
extra TIE/D to the trench run scene on the first Death Star at the upcoming DVD,
right?
That way, TLC would still keep to their part of the contract with Lucasfilm and
would also explain why this TIE collection will only be released now, close
before the official DVD release of the Trilogy!

Only problem would be that my theory doesn't quite fit the story behind the
TIE/D...
See: http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/tiedfighter/
(...and that the LEGO® version of the ship would have been better off with a red
or trans-red cockpit canopy!)

Greetings from Holland, Erik Boons