 Star Wars / 16838
Re: Set 10131 Tie Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:22:30 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kyle D. Jackson wrote:
I guess it will be possible to get all 4 from 682 pieces, especially given
how detailed-down they look compared to the earlier sets (look at the blue
trim on sides of the foils).

Huh?  The TIE Fighter trim has actually been slightly improved, and the TIE/a
trim is considerably better.  The original TIE/f design didn't have the black
2x3 wedge plates to make it a true hexagon instead of an octagon.  Instead, the
2x4 horizontally mounted plates were moved out one stud to the edges, and the
gaps were filled in with the same 1x2 grille tiles that form the diagonal lines.
The TIE/a now has blue edging on the top, bottom, and ends, though I'm not sure
what the deal is with the switch from plates to tiles on just his ship.  Aside
from those improvements, the rest of the wing design appears to be structurally
unchanged on both models.  DV's has, thankfully, been upgraded with a 4x4 radar
dish with TIE cockpit hatch detail, just like the parts used for the TIE/f and
Maul's ship.  Previously it just had grille tiles and an Imperial emblem.

As for the T/Droid, I thought that it had a cameo appearance in Ep II?  I
could swear I've seen it somewhere before.

That'd be news to me.  The only blatantly placed ship I can recall seeing with
the distinctive TIE design is Darth Maul's Sith Interceptor, and the only
pre-prequel ships I can recall seeing at all is the trio of YT-1300's parked on
Naboo when Anakin and Padme's transport comes into the dock (you can just make
out the edge of the second ship at in the first cut of chapter 15 on the DVD,
but the third appears to have been cut off in the transfer).  Now, there are
rumors of other ships being thrown in as easter eggs, such as one of the ST
Enterprises, but the impression I'd gotten was that Palpatine had a direct hand
in the development of his war machines through his alter ego of Darth Sidious.
Not only was his new apprentice working with the Geonosians to design the
original ANH Death Star, but his previous apprentice was using a proto-TIE/f for
transport, and the Republic Army somehow managed to have a slew of proto-AT-ATs
and proto-ISDs waiting for them to use when they left Kamino.