 Star Wars / 16833
Re: Set 10131 Tie Collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:24:06 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
Personally I'm underwhelmed by this set.  I've already got the original TIE
set and the TIE/Y Vader set, so it is pretty much more of the same.

Mostly, except the only EU vehicle they've ever released.  I'm wondering both
what the deal was that they're supposedly not allowed to do EU ships, and what
enabled them to get around it this time.  I see three immediate possibilities
for why they weren't allowed to: 1. didn't want to spring for the full license,
2. legal stickiness over whether the EU designs all belong solely to Lucasfilm,
or if the licensing developers own a portion of the creative rights, or 3. the
generally poor sales of Galoob's and Hasbro's EU stuff to the store chains
(never mind the fact that the stuff generally sold like gold-plated hotcakes
once it hit the shelves) left LF feeling it wasn't worth marketing any EU stuff
anymore.

I can see why someone who was not buying SW LEGO when those were available
would be excited, though, because alongside the redesigned X-Wing and
Millenium Falcon sets this means that all of the key ships from A New Hope
are currently in release.

Don't forget Luke's landspeeder, and the mini ISD, which pretty much just leaves
out the Tantive IV and the Y-Wing.  Speaking of which, I'm sure this set will be
like lemon juice in an open wound to all of those people who wanted to build up
a large fleet of Y-Wings.  After all, the uniqueness of the TIE/a is the reason
many non-FOL SW fans didn't buy a bunch of copies in the first place, and now
they've thrown it in with another fleet-builder set.

I do wish the fourth ship had been an interceptor, though, rather than some
EU version.

Yeah, what's up with the poor treatment the TIE/I has been given?  The only set
ever released outside of Japan is the UCS version, and the mini version from
Japan seems like something of an afterthought (the most disgusting thing is that
it comes with a new 1x1 sand-blue tile w/ cockpit hatch paint deco on it, which
is a great way to improve the regular mini-TIE...but not at import prices on a
dinky little set that costs about $5 at retail).  With the reported focus on
Classic Trilogy ships (everything except two of the 3rd batch of minis), and
five years under their belt, you'd think they'd have finally gotten around to
finishing off the major CT fighter craft.