 Star Wars / 14650
Re: Star Destroyer Domes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:10:13 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Stephen Juby writes:
When I first saw the pictures I just thought they looked so glaringly out of
place, despite the small amount of cover given by the levers used for
supports. On actually getting the model and making it... they're actually
not quite so obvious, strange as it may seem. If you purposefully look at
them they still look as bad, but they don't manage to ruin the overall
effect, in my opinion at least.

Ah, cool. That's good to hear. Also, if you DO happen to be unable to ignore
them, you can always explain them away as the results of stray laser fire
from some B-Wings and X-Wings or something!

     In fact if I were to make a criticism about it, it would be about the
fact that the gap between the top and bottom halves is very noticeable at
the front where it's not masked by shade inside the vast body. I'm pretty
sure it wouldn't have been too hard to correct that. It's not so bad if you
look at it from above or below though, so it's my fault for having it set up
at eye level!

Hmmm... I was kinda wondering about that. More because the huge side view in
the catalog shows that the trenches along the sides of the ship only go to
about 10 studs back from the very tip of the plates. I have noticed, BTW,
that while ESB and ROTJ ISDs have trenches that come quite close to the
front of the ship, the original Star Wars (ANH) ISDs didn't, and are
actually closer to the LEGO model in the trench detail as WELL as the
communications array and tilt of the domes (later ISDs had domes that were
"straight up" rather than perpendicular to the command tower surface (which
is slightly sloped).

Anyway, that doesn't sound too bad. Here's something a lot of people have
been wondering about, though: does the crack or seam that runs between the
port and starboard plates (top and bottom) attract a lot of notice, or is it
relatively benign? Some photos have shown it quite gaping (but I suspect the
magnets may allow for some play in the plates' positioning). Just wondering,
thanks.

-Greg "Fox" Cook