 Star Wars / 14660
Re: Star Destroyer Domes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 03:40:17 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Gregory Cook writes:

Anyway, that doesn't sound too bad. Here's something a lot of people have
been wondering about, though: does the crack or seam that runs between the
port and starboard plates (top and bottom) attract a lot of notice, or is it
relatively benign? Some photos have shown it quite gaping (but I suspect the
magnets may allow for some play in the plates' positioning). Just wondering,
thanks.

-Greg "Fox" Cook

Like the gap between the ventral and dorsal sections it's only particularly
noticeable if you look at it so the two are in line and you can see right
through. I would say it's more noticeable than the ventral/dorsal crack if
only because the v/d crack makes use of the shade inside, whereas the
port/starboard one is where two grey sections are supposed to meet more or
less seamlessly, so the near black of the shadey inside shows up more. It's
especially noticeable just where the superstructure starts in fact, but even
there it's not what I'd call glaringly obvious.
As for the magnets, you may not be aware but in fact only the inside (as in
closer to the centre line) side of the four main plates are held on by
magnets, along the angled outside sides the four main plates actually attach
to the framework on three hinges (as in three hinges to a plate). As such
there is very little if any scope to shift the plates around to try and make
the gap less obvious, they more or less just swing open and shut.
If you have a good picture of the trench you can probably make out one of
the grey "2x2 plate with holes" pieces which attach to the main plates just
in front of the swivelling ion cannon (made from Town binoculars and two 2x2
space radar dishes) That should give you an idea of how restricted the
motion is.

Hope that answers your questions

Stephen