 Star Wars / 14691
Re: Star Destroyer Domes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 03:39:38 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Stephen Juby writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Gregory Cook writes:

Thanks again, it all makes perfect sense now. Thought it seems, even with
amazing arm strength and some faith in the Force (i.e. a higher power and/or
the magnetic strength of LEGO magnets), zooming the ISD around at all, sans
stand, would be a risky proposition at best. Has anyone tried shaking the
ship back and forth to see if the plates can pop off? Sounds like a tenuous
connection if it's only 3 2x1 connections along the trench for each of the
four large plate sections.

-Greg "Fox" Cook

I hate to break this to you, but zooming it round sans stand really isn't a
possibility - it doesn't lift off the stand! That would be another of the
few disappointments, the stand is rather firmly pegged to the internal
frame, indeed adds some structural integrity to it. In fact, the two stands
are not connected to one another, except by the frame that is.

No no, I know that. Someone else had said that you CAN take the stands off,
but you'd have to take plates off and then partially disassemble the stands
to get the pegs out of the framework, and from seeing the pics, I can see
why. I doubt it'd take that long to do, but I suppose I might find out.
Now... what kind of rig am I gonna have to make to hang the bastard from my
bedroom ceiling... hmmm. heh

On the other hand, the plates actually hold quite firm, I must admit to
being sceptical at first, but I summed up the courage to give it a shake and
they all held firm. Well, except one of the bottom plates, but that was
because one of the magnets was slightly out of line (you know the way
sometimes magnets aren't properly centred in the plastic holder?) A quick
reshuffle of the magnets solved that problem.

Sounds like sound design then. <burns>exxxxxcellent</burns>

As for the connecton in the trench, it's three of the 2x2 connectors with
the double hole in the bottom (Peeron number 2817) They seem to hold it on
satisfactorily, although I must admit I'm surprised myself, for the
underside plates at least.

Indeed. Gravity is a mighty foe. Then again, from the looks of the pics, the
bottom plates have an extra magnet connection each, right? front, middle,
and twin magnets at the rear, unlike the single ones at the rear of the top
plates.

-Greg "Fox" Cook