 Star Wars / 14649
Re: Opinions sought on a gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:23:35 GMT

Like most things, I would that's it's relationship to the whole really
defines it's over all feel.  For instance, if it were done in multiples,
protruding spine like from a central node with massive overhang, I would
definately peg it as an anime style.

However, if it were side fuselage mounted on a conventional fighter design
(cockpit on horizontal  main beam, engines at side or transom), it would
easily resemble the proto-WWII dogfighter favoured by Lucas.

Not really sure it if this any help, but this could certainly be used in a
SW creation, particularily in the pre OT diversity of design.

How would I design it?  To work off the SW premise, I would try and give the
ship design some relation to a current or historical craft.  If it were to
feature a particularily large weapon, perhaps a belly deployed design
reminiscent of the Lancaster bomber or the side mounted torpedos of the
P-series topedo boats.  It these cases, I think a stout, recoiless weapon
like this nifty little number would fit nicely.

Just thoughts...

-G

In lugnet.starwars, Jon Palmer writes:
Would you say that this:

http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/gun01.jpg

looks sufficiently Star Warsian?  I think it's an ion cannon or something.
I'm trying to build one large weapon for a fighter and I'm trying to build
something other than the typical long skinny SW gun.  The front portion of
this gun was inspired by one of Mladen's guns:

http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Mladen/Creations/Mecha/Tortoise/tortoise_23.jp

but I'm afraid it's anime roots might betray this gun's intended purpose.

This brings up another interesting issue.  2 of my greatest building
influences are SW and anime.  I personally like to pull from both of them
when building, but for the alphabet project I try to tone down the anime
look as much as possible, which isn't always easy.

Anyway, what do you think about the gun?  If you were making one very large
gun for a Star Wars fighter what would it look like?  Note that this is
about 9 bricks long.

-Jon