 Star Wars / 14646
Re: Opinions sought on a gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:34:27 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jon Palmer writes:
Would you say that this:

http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/gun01.jpg

looks sufficiently Star Warsian?

Hmmm, before I read on to the rest of your post, I checked out the image and
thought to myself, "cool gun ... though it looks more anime-ish than
StarWarsian."  Reading on, I found that you had been wondering the same thing.

Trying to recall Star Wars guns, I think most of them tend to be simply
cylindrical.  Very little greebling on the actual guns themselves.  In thinking
through various SW armaments on the Y-Wing, AT-AT, AT-ST, Hoth Turret, Slave I,
Hoth Ion Cannon, X-wing, A-wing, speeder bike, Death Star Trench batteries, and
on and on, they are all basically projecting cylinders.  Some exceptions are
Tie Fighters (internal barrels?), and the Death Star (radar dish).  The most
anime-esque guns I can recall are on the B-wing, with its large multi-barrelled
(but still fundamentally cylindrical) gun pod, and maybe the Geonosian fighter
(?).

I think it's an ion cannon or something.
I'm trying to build one large weapon for a fighter and I'm trying to build
something other than the typical long skinny SW gun.  The front portion of
this gun was inspired by one of Mladen's guns:

As I mentioned above, I think the long skinny gun barrel is prototypical SW.
Though there do seem to be some example of gun clusters which stray from that,
even while maintaining the same basic theme; the Bwing cluster mentioned above,
and the port side AT-ST gun unit (not the concussion grenade launcher, the
other one).

http://brickshelf.com/gallery/Mladen/Creations/Mecha/Tortoise/tortoise_23.jpg

but I'm afraid it's anime roots might betray this gun's intended purpose.

This brings up another interesting issue.  2 of my greatest building
influences are SW and anime.  I personally like to pull from both of them
when building, but for the alphabet project I try to tone down the anime
look as much as possible, which isn't always easy.

Anyway, what do you think about the gun?  If you were making one very large
gun for a Star Wars fighter what would it look like?  Note that this is
about 9 bricks long.

All that being said, I do like the gun a lot ... the angular, blockier look
definitely seems threatening.

-s