 Star Wars / 14647
Re: Opinions sought on a gun
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:01:22 GMT

"Shaun Sullivan" <shaun_sullivan@irco.com> wrote in message
news:H5zKpF.G7A@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.starwars, Jon Palmer writes:
Would you say that this:

http://www.zemi.net/imageblog/gun01.jpg

looks sufficiently Star Warsian?

Hmmm, before I read on to the rest of your post, I checked out the image • and
thought to myself, "cool gun ... though it looks more anime-ish than
StarWarsian."  Reading on, I found that you had been wondering the same
thing.

One step ahead of ya. ;-)

Trying to recall Star Wars guns, I think most of them tend to be simply
cylindrical.  Very little greebling on the actual guns themselves.  In • thinking
through various SW armaments on the Y-Wing, AT-AT, AT-ST, Hoth Turret, • Slave I,
Hoth Ion Cannon, X-wing, A-wing, speeder bike, Death Star Trench • batteries, and
on and on, they are all basically projecting cylinders.  Some exceptions • are
Tie Fighters (internal barrels?), and the Death Star (radar dish).  The • most
anime-esque guns I can recall are on the B-wing, with its large • multi-barrelled
(but still fundamentally cylindrical) gun pod, and maybe the Geonosian • fighter
(?).

Yeah this is more or less what Mark Sandlin and I were thinking.  I'm not
really so against making a gun thats long, skinny and round, my main problem
is that it's not easy to make parts of it be 2x2 if we don't have 2x2
cylinder bricks in dk gray(bummer).  I'm playing with a couple of those 2x2
spoked wheels right now, maybe that'll work.

As I mentioned above, I think the long skinny gun barrel is prototypical • SW.
Though there do seem to be some example of gun clusters which stray from • that,
even while maintaining the same basic theme; the Bwing cluster mentioned • above,
and the port side AT-ST gun unit (not the concussion grenade launcher, the
other one).

Yup.  I'm gonna try another one out, maybe with that small side cluster on
the first one.

All that being said, I do like the gun a lot ... the angular, blockier • look
definitely seems threatening.

Thanks for the input!

-Jon