 Star Wars / 12387
Re: Two really impressive 2002 sets ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.year.2002
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 23:38:21 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:
Perfect canopy!  (albeit a POOP, but here it's definitely acceptable!)
Hinge Panels in tan!
Crazy curved pieces in Blue and Liberty Green!
Lots of White macaroni!
Lots of Dark Grey!
And a Fett with a BLUE-trimmed helmet!

   Those "crazy curved pieces" are mateable with the new slope system,
   and what's better, they include *half canopy* slopes--I just wish they
   were in greys, not blue and green.  Ah well.  :)

Yea, those new curved pieces look really cool. I'm sure we will see them
in more colors as time goes on. Perhaps we'll see some in a new round of
Life on Mars.

   The hinge panels in tan:  They've been available in tan before, so
   that's nothing new (2879/1699? Treasure Raiders).  I like the dark
   grey and white, though.

Still, it's nice to have the hinge panels in tan in quantity.

   The canopy:  My personal jury is still out on that.  I'm sure I can
   find a use.

True, it will be a hard canopy to put to use, but I'm willing to have a
greater variety of canopies.

Perhaps most impressive is how much this set looks like the subject.  I'm sure
many will groan about the POOP fairings around each wing strut, but they *look*
perfect as part of the model.  Same with the canopy.

   It's a good source of these new system-parts.  They're not really
   POOP fairings, because they're of a geometry unknown before 2002's
   sets (but which is quite obvioulsy meant to be "standard".)

I wish folks wouldn't use POOP when referencing parts which aren't even
close to being able to be made up of smaller pieces. In my opinion,
there are probably only 10-20 POOP pieces in all of the parts available.
There are another 30-40 or more which are POOPlike (I label BURPs as
POOPlike for example, sure, if all you care about is the outside, you
could have made them from bricks, but then you couldn't make jail cells
or treasure caves from them). In fact, if you take POOPness to extremes,
and don't allow any consideration than gross outer form, then EVERY
rectangular brick is a POOP which can be made up of 3 or more plates (of
course a stack of 3 plates is probably not as rigid, would cost twice as
much, and can't fit on top of things which have a peg taller than a
stud). After all, any brick larger than a 1x1 can be made from ONLY 1x1
and 1x2 plates.

So these new curved pieces are NOT POOPs. In fact, I think they will
find their way into MANY creations. Who hasn't wished they could get a
little bit more roundness into their space ships?

That winch alone was worth it to me - it was a perfect addition onto my GMC 6x6
Army Truck.

   The winch, IIRC, is a Jack Stone part.  But in any case, that *is* a
   really cool set.  I'm in agreement.  I need to get another one.

Yes, it's one of the nice Jack Stone parts. I'm glad to see most of the
good Jack Stone parts showing up in minifig sets.

Frank