 Star Wars / 12406
Re: Two really impressive 2002 sets ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:47:14 GMT

Jason Spears wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Paul Gyugyi writes:
These pieces are more accurately called "SPUD"s rather than "POOP"s.
SPUD==Special Purpose/Useless/Decorative
BTW, I catagorize Pirate Hulls and Masts as SPUDs, too.  OMFIAMP.

SPUD is a little better term, but the "Useless" part is quite a value
judgment. As I always whip out, the LEGO theme which probably provides
the most exposure outside our tiny circle of friends is absolutely
dependent on pieces some folks would classify as SPUDs. I would note
that the pirate hulls and masts are responsible for another source of
exposure, though pirate ships could be done without them, I'm not sure
how good ships would look, and how rugged they would be for play without
the hulls and masts (oh, and the sails which are probably the most
important are even more SPUDish).

Pirate Hull = SPUD huh?

http://www.oklahoma.net/~jpalmer/lego/nori.html

Of course that's only using the center sections. I suspect just about
every single SPUD has been used at least once in a totally different
way.

What generally concerns me is when SPUDs dominate a set in an
unreasonable way. This is the most valid complaint about Jack Stone. Of
course one has to give some consideration to the target market of a set,
and one has to accept that not every set will be considered a good set
by everyone. If you're into castles, train sets may not have many parts
which appeal to you, but if we required every set to contain only parts
equally useable in any theme, I don't think I'd be into the hobby (let's
see, what got me started, Mindstorms? Hmm, OK, castle folk, how many of
you have incorporated RCXs into your castles? Hmm, train wheels and
train track? Hmm, pirate ship hulls? Hmm, swords and knights helmets?
These are the pieces which got me fired up, somewhat in rough order [the
RCX was definitely the first]).

So I look for pieces which aren't totally single purpose, and good use
of pieces. I see very effective use of this new curved piece system. No,
it won't be useful to everyone, and too many of the pieces are printed,
but gosh, I look forward to seeing some more rounded space ships coming
out in the future, and I know other themes will find uses for the parts
also.

Frank