 Star Wars / 12048
Re: Thoughts on the (pre EpII) 2002 range
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 23:09:35 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mark Chittenden writes:
According to Lego Mania Magazine, Dec 2001 issue:

"Why are LEGO mini-figures yellow?"

"Okay, the truth is that back in 1972 the LEGO Company asked kids what color
they thought mini-figures should be and they said yellow."

Interesting, but what does it mean?  Is TLC saying that they'll run their
business according to a vote cast 30 years ago by children?  What do you
suppose those kids would have said if they'd been asked what sex astronauts
and firefighters should be?  30 years is a long time; there's no reason to
continue to manufacture a product based on a decades-old decision.  And why
is this the decision they choose to honor?  I mean, they certainly don't
adhere to any standards of quality or piece:price value from that time...
For me, it's never even been a question of race, but rather of
representational accuracy.  If I intended to make a minfig version of
myself, given the choice between a green head and a yellow one, I'd choose
yellow.  But given the choice between a caucasian-hued minfig head and a
yellow one, I'd choose caucasian.

i personally belive either everyone should be proper flesh tones or
everyone should be yellow.

This is exacerbated by the fact that Best-Lock has released some figures
with yellow "skin" and others with brown "skin," presumably to represent
"white" and "black."

Actually Best-Lock produced yellow heads then switched to tan and brown heads.

In addition, MegaBloks has had no problem releasing a
range of skin tones, from pale pink, to less-pale pink, to brown.  If
MegaBloks and Best-Lock are inferior products, why can't LEGO do at least as
well as its inferiors?

Hmm... It must be two or three days since we had a good ol' "why yellow
minifigs" discussion.

    Dave!'

Two or three days passed without this topic coming up?  Holy Cow!

-Mike Petrucelli