 Space / 9360
  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) We know it's true, since we have our nice and handy fluid mechanics calculations. The drag experienced by a vehicle depends on a number of factors, including surface area, drag coefficient, viscosity and density of fluid, and the velocity of (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Of course, Science Is Never Wrong. ;^) ~Mark "phlogiston" Sandlin (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

Don't forget not open flame in the phlogiston all you smokers out there. :) -- Nicole Rienhart-Drumm wife of Kenneth A. Drumm Ph.D. "Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message news:GF9Fr0.8qx@lugnet.com... (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

"Mark Sandlin" <sandlin@nwlink.com> wrote in message news:GF9Fr0.8qx@lugnet.com... (...) Aha! Hmm. How ironic. So none of us has ever given a critique of someone else's pseudo-science based on the prevailing scientific background of the time?... I (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Okay, Nicole, now that you've posted about half a dozen times you are no longer required to append "wife of Kenneth..." to your name-- especially if you are an AFOL in your own right (and I suspect you are!). I understand your doing so when (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.people)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Ether you're trying your hand at humour, or you're just trying to cause colnd-fusion. ack. LFB (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

I find your remarks inflammatory. ~Mark "Perdition's Flames" Sandlin (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Oh please. Drag calculations are only approximations for something immersed in a fluid. You're not going to get conventional boundary layer effects when you only bump into a single gas molecule every few meters. You could consider molecular (...) (23 years ago, 21-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) That's what they said about the (non-)rescue scene in _Mission to Mars_. Steve Christopher! have you backed up your data? (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) How many posts have resulted since my comment about wings in space? My calculations say that there have been about fourty or fifty posts since my comment about wings in space. My space craft is generally wedge shaped, Jason, if you want to (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

Hi. I can't remember the density of space off the top of my head, but let's say it's somewhere near the 1 molecule per 3m^3 like you suggest. If a vehicle is travelling near the speed of light (3*10^8 m/s), then the ship is hitting in the vicinity (...) (23 years ago, 22-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Hmmm, this is pretty interesting (in an aero-geek way). I can't remember Avogadro's number so I won't work out the numbers, either. I suspect this would become a whole different branch of "fluid" dynamics compared to what we deal with today. (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) 6.022 x 10^23. Get computin'! ;) (...) Bwaaa! I know how that goes. As long as the money is coming, why finish it? ;) (...) An electric ladder or an electric monkey? (...) Sometimes it tries to pass through. If nothing else it would, I'd (...) (23 years ago, 23-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) No, it's not..:-) At STP (Standard temperature and pressure, 1atm and 273K if IIRC), only 22.4 lt. of any gas would have 6.022x10^23 molecules. Your number given above is quite negligible when compared to this I think. You must consider (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) <snip> (...) Nope, you're quite right (it was least year for me and I remember perfectly). (...) Zactly! Every little dust particle can be really harsh on the ship. -Shiri (23 years ago, 25-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) I have heard that space craft with wings would become torn apart by the impact of flying in space. How do you know that these conditions will exist in space? People thought many centuries earlier that the earth is flat yet is is almost (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Okay, Jesse. I can't be a spectator to this anymore. If anyone said a spacecraft with wings would have its wings torn off they would be wrong obviously. The Shuttle model we use now has wings, but they are only on it for its atmospheric (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) I have heard of the anime "Cowboy Bebop" but I have never heard of the anime "Outlaw Star" and I have never seen either series (which is not quite uncommon since I live in rural Tennessee) but you fail to conside that because friction and (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) I urge all .space people to watch Cowboy Bebop. It is a great series, mostly because of the writing and characterization, but also because the designs and concepts are very good. You can get it in DVD or VHS format at places like Suncoast (...) (23 years ago, 25-Jun-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Quick, someone alert NASA! How, oh how, will they ever dock with the ISS when it is spinning away like mad?! I guess Dennis Tito's reported illness when boarding the station wasn't due to weightlesness after all... <snip> (...) Oh, so *that's* (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) That's one reason I enjoyed Babylon 5 so much. The science wasn't perfect (you have to make *some* concessions for the sake of the story), but at least they made a darn good attempt. I've found the Jovian Chronicles RPG from Dream Pod 9 to be (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Sorry but although I read almost all messages I still can't find anything can considered as "space craft with wings would become torn apart by the impact of flying in space". All we said is particles and debris (I mean sizes from a dust (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Perhaps Mister Tito ate some food that he should not have ate before entering space? The reason that the International Space Station, or Mir before that system, do not spin around as a person would expect is that the giant solar panels also (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) It is great that YOU live near an anime store and Suncoast but, unfortunately, I live in Hicksville, or as better known to the local people, Savannah, Tennessee. There are only about seven to fifteen thousand people that live in this town so (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) The "wings" on the ISS (or Mir) are not there to help stabilize the station, they are there to increase the surface area of the solar panels to provide electrical power to the station. There are other control systems which keep the station (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) For more information on the ISS see: (URL) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Thank you for correcting me, Duane, but I also have those control systems that will accomplish the same features on my space craft and, as stated many times before in other posts, the wings are another source of power for the space craft. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Thank you for the computer site, Duane, but where is the information located about the control systems which counteract the spinning motions in outer space? Jesse Long (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) The first two messages I must say to you, Selcuk, is that how did you ever imagine that I said that Newtonian physics was wrong in life? I never said such a statement to you, Selcuk! The statement that I said was that the theory of relativity (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) You will have to dig for that yourself, since I am not intimately familiar with the site and am unwilling to become that familiar with it. However, if memory serves me correctly, I think that the system you are refering to is a thruster system (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) OK, I lied (sort of...) I didn't find a page on the ISS, but I did find one on the shuttle here: (URL) of the links make it a little difficult to read, but there is some good information there. -Duane (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

Hi! Warning! Warning! Bibliographical references ahead! Warning! Danger, danger Will Robinson! (...) I've seen you mention that, but I'm wondering what the principle is you're employing for wing-generated power. Usually the solutions one sees for (...) (23 years ago, 26-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) The first sentence in your reply letter made me laugh, although I do not have any idea in my head why you said that to me but at least it is better to laugh than to have a brawl on the bulletin boards as has been the situation for several (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Wings [was: Re: Building big]

(...) Thank you for the information, Duane. Who knew that the way that the engines were designed in the Challenger were so dangerously built in life? The design of the engines is nice but I simply will just modify the current engines or go with an (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jun-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au)