 Space / 7500
Re: NASA Space Shuttle and crawler (preview)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:45:02 GMT

Paul Baulch wrote:

Thanks! This is a little embarrassing, but I didn't actually know that the
crawler could separate from the pad... :-(  My knowledge of the crawler
transporter is mostly superficial, and the NASA image archives seemed to
contain frustratingly few pictures of it (I could only find two).

Embarrassingly I only discovered that fact a couple of years ago myself
(and they've been launching shuttles and Saturn Vs for the past 30 years
using those same mobile launch pads and crawlers!)

One cool site you might want to check out is Kim Keller's. He actually
works on the real shuttle and has quite a few original photos of the
behind the scenes work and orbiter processing done at KSC. Really cool.

http://www.geocities.com/kimekeller/index.html

As for additional ideas, you might want to try building some of the
support equipment for your shuttle. I built an Orbiter Transport for
mine and I want to build a Crew Transport Vehicle (the vehicle that the
crew uses to exit the orbiter after touchdown)

I'm quite pleased with how the tail turned out. Its stud direction is
unusual, mostly but not quite towards the front, and the leading edge has a
row of that weird 1x3x3.3 slope-with-studs-on-the-angled-side, so that I
could place a row of 1xN black tiles along the tail's leading edge. I found
that those black tiles made an incredible difference to how the tail looks.

Hmm, I am not familiar with those parts. I'll have to look them up and
see if I can shamelessly swipe (whoops, I mean borrow :-) your idea to
improve the appearance of my orbiter's tail. Right now I have the jagged
black edge thing going.

Any ideas on how to do a working rudder that doesn't ruin the aesthetics
of the tail?

If you see MTT's and Slave 1's on deep clearance, then that's your
opportunity. Almost all of the brown in my external fuel tank (of 14 studs'
radius) comes from 3 MTT's and 4 Slave 1's, with maybe 4 Droid Fighters'
worth of small brown plates to fill in any gaps. You would probably require
at least twice that amount

Probably more like eight times that amount! My external tank would need
to be twenty eight studs in diameter. I built a short circular base as a
sizing study and was truly frightened. Unfortunately the boosters would
need to be twelve studs in diameter so I don't think the Droid Escape
cylinders would work.

--
J. Spencer Rezkalla
http://www.mich.com/~srezkall