 Space / 7454
7453  |  7455
Subject:
NASA Space Shuttle and crawler (preview)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 00:32:00 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

A while back, J. Spencer Rezkalla presented a great rendition of the Space
Shuttle orbiter. Many people asked him if he were going to construct the
boosters, fuel tank and crawler pad. Mostly, they were joking because of the
scale he chose (too many bricks would be involved).
Still, it got my imagination going... and this was the eventual result.

It's selectively compressed of course, and minor detail was compromised, but
minifigs were a requirement...
Anyway, this scale does have a number of advantages, including:
1. The boosters and orbiter attach points can be both reasonably accurate
and structurally sound.
2. The orbiter can attach and detach quickly from the fuel tank with technic
pins, but stay on firmly.
3. The undercarriage properly supports the orbiter when deployed.
4. The whole thing sits firmly and stably on the transporter without the
need for extra supports.
5. You don't have to be He-Man to pick the whole thing up (and it wil stay
together, too).
6. At this scale I didn't run out of brown bricks!

This is the only picture I'll be taking for a while. I only posted this one
because I expect other people to be undertaking similar projects but I
hadn't seen them post results and, hey, I wanted to be first ;-)  hopefully
some aspects of my design might be helpful too.
I want to hold off on pictures because:
1. I plan to buy a camera tripod. I have found that stability greatly
improves picture quality (in case you didn't know!).
2. I plan to present more pictures of the shuttle with other stuff which I
have yet to build.
3. It doesn't have a payload yet! Suggestions are welcome (the payload space
fits 27x7 studs maximum). I think that Canadarm is a must, reference images
would be appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Paul