 Space / 7470
Re: NASA Space Shuttle and crawler (preview)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 03:04:15 GMT

Paul Baulch wrote:

Still, it got my imagination going... and this was the eventual result.

Awesome! Great Work! And a brown external tank to boot! (first I have
seen) Well done! I have to say the Mobile Launching Pad looks really
detailed! Is the crawler integrated to the pad - or can it drive out
from under it?

Anyway, this scale does have a number of advantages, including:

Your model brings back some memories for me. When I was a kid I build a
shuttle and booster of similar scale to your model. My orbiter was
eight wide, and had a cargo hold 30 studs in length. Surprisingly I
found that I could hold the stack together with just simple brick
elements at the attachment points. Unfortunately my shuttle was rather
crude looking. I didn't have very many fancy elements back then.
The orbiter was constructed in Classic Space blue and gray (with a
lot of 33 slopes on an ugly airliner-like nose), while the external
tank was all red and the solid rockets white. I didn't have enough
Lego left over to do a pad and tower so built those out of my brother's
Construx (sp?) pieces. In fact I had an entire mini-Kennedy Space Center
thing going on in my basement back then!

This is the only picture I'll be taking for a while. I only posted this one
because I expect other people to be undertaking similar projects but I
hadn't seen them post results and, hey, I wanted to be first ;-)

I honestly don't think there are too many "MOC" Space Shuttle replicas
out there. Before I started mine I did a web search looking
for sources of inspiration. I only found a few:

Selcuk Gore did a very nice version looks ~3/4 minifig scale:

The incredible Legoland model:
http://hugin.ldraw.org/meyer/LEGO/Officielt/Legoland/Space_Shuttle

Lego Imagination Center @ Mall of America:
http://baylug.org/russellc/mall-of-america/mall08.jpg

There is also a shuttle/boosters and pad model at NASA:
http://vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov/er/seh/stsbloc.html

...and one or two others whose links I have since lost.

hopefully some aspects of my design might be helpful too.

It's hard to tell from your photo, but I am wondering how you did you do
the black leading edge of the tail?

P.S: I still haven't ruled out eventually going for a tank and boosters
for mine! Right now it is too costly a project in terms of both time and
money - I'd rather invest in some smaller less complicated projects
that may be just as personally rewarding.

--
J. Spencer Rezkalla
http://www.mich.com/~srezkall