 Space / 6111
Re: Mark's Lego Creations Update! 1/12/01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:10:12 GMT

in article 941vpn$ktd$1@cc731244-b.chmbl1.cc.ga.home.com, J.D. Forinash
wrote:

While I can relate to this, I think the real problem is there's two other
things Muffin Head and some of the other posters have than I'd rather have
more than their brick collections.

One's skill, the other's free time. :) I went to go look at some of the
pages here, and I can't imagine the hours it takes to build some of these
things.

Well, skill comes from playing with the bricks and learning from your fellow
AFOLs. I think my own building skill and style has come a long way just in
the last year since I've had others pushing me to build better stuff, and
since I've had so much from which to take inspiration.

One thing that frees up lots of time for me is the fact that my wife and I
have no kids and no obligations during weeknights, and I don't watch very
much TV. Often times I will come home, go to the gym and have dinner with my
wife, and then sit down for two or three hours to build. The LEGO table is
in the living room of my house, so I can chat with my wife while she watches
TV or reads.

I usually spend about three building sessions on most of my creations,
perhaps four or five on some of the larger ones. I often improve or change a
design after returning from a break in construction.

I try to get inspiration from as many sources as possible (which for me
means Sci/Fi art) That can come from books, movies, cartoons, even video
game box artwork.

If you have a busy college schedule, then I can understand not having enough
free time. Perhaps you'll have a bit more after you get into the real world
and start living on a 8-5 schedule. ;^)

HTH

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin
--