 Space / 5928
Re: Mark 4 Destroyer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 01:12:18 GMT

    As of now, the only thing that impresses me is the sheer size and the
docking ring.  The MKIV, unfotunately, doesn't seem to stray too far from
what you have in the Galactic Shipyard.  Big is nice, but originality and
explorations in uncharted design is better.  Color schemes are essential.
Although the MKIV is symetrical, there realy doesn't appear to be a color
scheme.

Well done!  :-)  This is the type of response I'm looking for!

Ok, well my color scheme is the similar to my battle cruiser - You will note
that there are no blue bricks.  That would be too much.  Yellow is used as
hidden filler, white is the primary interior color.   Hence I found that
only way that I could build this thing in the way that I wanted was to stick
to the colors black, red and grey.  The green you see is primarily the brick
plates for the strength and rigidty of the roof sections.  I wish I had only
grey/green/black like Dan Jassim, or I wish that all my brickplates were
GREY, but as it turns out I have A LOT of red and decent amount of grey and
some black. And I simply had to use brickplates.  The bottom floor is 1
brick high, everywhere.  So, the main color scheme is red sides with two
black stripes, and a green roof (unfortunately).  Then the upper decks are
grey, where I start to show better detail.  I guess I should show those
interior shots soon since that is what this ship was made for.  I really
have put a lot of work into the engineering mod.

    I apologize for the negative feedback, but you asked for it! :-)

Oh, no problem at all!

I honestly believe, with the size of your collection and experience in ship
building, that you could really impress the community with something truly
awe-inspiring.

Gee, thank you!  That's nice to hear.  :-)

You've made your own well-trodden path with the destroyer
line, perhaps its time for something new?  The road not taken and all that:-)

Well put.  Well, to be honest this is the last of the destroyer line.  A
final hurah, so to speak.  I did not want to delve into new ground yet
because I felt that my previous attempts really did not convey what I was
trying to express.  I had to few pieces, and I had several other mocs that I
just couldn't bring myself to destroying at the time.  Another hit is that
most of my peices are basic bricks and plates.

One thing to keep in mind though (for all you guys who want to build a big
ship):  It is very (and I mean *VERY*) hard to stay away from turning your
BIG BIG ship into a BIG BIG tub.  :-)  BIG ships are built for the interior
- it's very hard to make a truly big ship look that unique when all you have
tons of 2x4 brick and not a whole lot of specialized pieces. But I'll try.
I think Jon Palmer's ship and Dan Jassim's carrier have set the bar on
detail.  It gives me a goal to strive towards.

So, when this is done, I will begin work on some really good medium sized
ships while I plan out my next big project.  At this point I cannot think
another large ship outside of a super carrier, and I need to have space to
put the thing!  ;-)

Toodles!  Thanks for the great feedback!

~Trev