 Space / 504
Re: The "geography" of local space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 07:19:45 GMT

Hi, Tim,

Tim Courtney wrote:

Hello all.  This is the first time I've poked my head into lugnet.space.  I'm
sure some of you are familiar with my site at http://www.zacktron.com.  Its
got a space storyline and some models I've made as well...

In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald writes:
Well, it became quickly apparent given the imagination of some that we needed
some widely varying environments. It's not just a minifig-only universe out
there. So bigger distances were needed. Also, at this point, it's not
necessary that everyone's worlds be hard-mapped either; maybe only those
nearby to Earth; or far away worlds that exist within a relatively short
distance from each other but whose distance from Earth has never been
measured.

I have a question about this discussion.  Is this to make an 'official' all-
encompassing required map of Lego Space?  I'm not fully understanding where
this is going.

Well, there was nothing "official" about the proposal.  If you check over on the
Town side of LUGNET and search for something called "Datsville," you'll find a
virtual Lego town that was built collectively by a bunch of people, one structure
at a time.  Someone (Tom?) suggested that we might try to do something similar for
space. Participation would, of course, be strictly voluntary... <evil laughter,
sound of blaster fire> 8^)

It would be nice to have a star chart based on the actual
known universe (Zacktron uses it..).  This isn't saying that we all have to
put our Lego space universes into one universe and co-exist, even where
storylines conflict, is it?  Or is this just providing a map for individuals
to use.  One of the things I'd be concerned with in this is someone telling me
I can't have my planet here, there, or that someone has taken this spot, etc.
This isn't the case, is it?

Like you, Tom has pointed out that integrating things in Space is not so simple.
Not everyone works in minifig scale (I do), there is a greater perceived need for
a definite map, and the range of technologies that people have imagined for their
Legoverses is really broad.

Town is easier.  Technology is static.  Everyone knows what an automobile is, what
a house is, what various institutional buildings might fit.  Stories mesh more
easily -- there aren't many wars in Town (aside: Lego gangstas, anyone?  How about
it? 8^).  It's easy to justify a flexible, expandable map, since real towns also
grow by sprawl.

I still think that the idea of an integrated space milieu has some merit.  I like
Tom's idea of adding a time line, in order to avoid the coexistence of vastly
different technologies.   This thread is about the map.  More than one person
suggested that the map should based on what we presently know about the nearest
stars.  I'm sharing what I know with you folks about that map -- and I'm delighted
to see that we've got a few more astronomy buffs around here, too!

Will everyone want to participate?  Probably not.  Cool.  The "future histories"
of Isaac Asimov, Piers Anthony, and Larry Niven are incompatible, too, but we can
read and enjoy all of their books.

To summarize what I'm trying to say: Its a great idea to make a star map based
on our actual universe, but its not a great idea to delegate territories to
non-consenting people within that map.  If people want to get together and co-
exist, great, but if they don't, don't make them.

I don't think that anyone was doing *that*!

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology