 Space / 385
Re: The "geography" of local space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 03:42:32 GMT

Hi, just noodling around.

Websters gives it as 1pc = 3.27ly

It's the distance an ange of one minute subtends at a distance of one au.

Don't be afraid of a little trig.  au means astronomical unit.  Lookit up.

Would you like to know how to derive a parsec conversion number for yourself?

I have only scanned the local space discussion, but lots of
cool facts there.  Get this:  At JPL we are designing an
interferometric telescope system that will image Earth-like
planets within 50ly.  (15.29pc)

As it is, we are looking for blue fuzzies around Sun-like stars.

And that's the real deal, man.  Totally blows my mind.

Check out www.jpl.nasa.gov and look under origins, I think.

  - Mark.

In lugnet.space, Ian Sinclair writes:
Can one of you budding astronomers tell me how many light years are
equal to a parsec?

<ICS>