 Space / 556
Re: Local space -- here's a real map!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:50:55 GMT

At 10:12 AM 11/20/1999 , John J. Ladasky Jr. wrote:
Take a look at the distance chart again.  Wolf 359 and Lalande 21185 may
appear to be a lot farther from alpha Centauri and Barnard's Star than
they are from Sol, but in fact they're less than 1.5 times farther
off.  Wolf 359 and Lalande 21185 are also closer to each other than any
other pair of systems on the list, making travel between them easy.

I'm not doubting that, but Zacktron's already been written into the Alpha
Centauri system, as well as Barnard's Star.  Those two may come into play
in the future if an alien race is discovered.

There is actually one double star system, UV Ceti, that MIGHT be closer
than Sirius, which is not pictured on this map.  Various studies
disagree.  RECONS places it a hair more distant from Sol than Sirius, and
other sources places it modestly closer.  The stars of the UV Ceti system
were too dim to be measured by Hipparcos.

The UV Ceti system might have planets, but they would probably not be very
hospitable.  Both of the stars are among the smallest known.  Their masses
are on the order of one tenth that of Sol, and they're only about one
ten-thousandth as bright.  Planets that would receive an Earth-like level
of light and heat would have to orbit extremely close to the stars.  To
make matters worse, one of the two stars is a flare star.  It behaves even
more badly than Proxima Centauri, which I mentioned in an earlier post.  A
couple of times a day, for ten minutes or so, the star increases in
intensity by ten to one hundred fold, then drops back to its normal
level.  That close-in planet would get torched!

I guess that scratches UV Ceti from any future Zacktron plans.

Ahhhh you're amazing!  (wanna be written in as a Zacktron admiral?)

Does the job come with tenure?  8^) 8^)

We'll discuss that, but it comes with the command of a rather powerful
capital ship ;)  Seriously, if you like, I'll write your name in as an
admiral into Zacktron storylines.  Its kinda hard to come up with names (in
screenwriting its harder), so anytime I can name a character after someone
its easier.

Thanks John!

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

Mac and cheese is one thing when you get it in a boot, but its another
thing when you have to eat it.  (Don't ask...)