 Space / 553
552  |  554
Subject:
Local space -- here's a real map!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:14:08 GMT

I wrote:

Tim Courtney wrote:

Yeah.  I'd just need maps of the Sol system, Alpha Centauri, and Barnard's
Star and how they relate to each other as far as distances go for
Zacktron.  Most other stuff is unexplored space to the Z universe.  But a
useful tool.

Anything else in Zacktron is unexplored space?  Well, the next three (known) stars
out from Earth are two more dim red dwarf stars, known as Wolf 359 and Lalande
21185; and then, the brightest star in our sky, Sirius.

Hey, look what I happened to find in my archive of downloads -- a 3D map of exactly
these stars!

http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~jladasky/nearest_stars.jpg

There is actually one double star system, UV Ceti, that MIGHT be closer than Sirius,
which is not pictured on this map.  Various studies disagree.  RECONS places it a
hair more distant from Sol than Sirius, and other sources places it modestly closer.
The stars of the UV Ceti system were too dim to be measured by Hipparcos.

Every road atlas needs a mileage chart, right?  8^)  I converted the right
ascensions, declinations, and parallaxes into XYZ coordinates, and computed the
following distance table...

http://cmgm.stanford.edu/~jladasky/distance_table.txt

Multiply all the figures by 3.26 to obtain distances in light-years.

Keep in mind that all of these stars are moving relative to each other -- so these
positions and distances are accurate for the year 2000 only.  Over the next 20,000
years or so, positions may change by up to a full parsec.  Please drive carefully.
8^)

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology