 Space / 390
Re: The "geography" of local space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 09:14:27 GMT

Websters gives it as 1pc = 3.27ly
It's the distance an ange of one minute subtends at a distance of one au.

Thanks for the answer.

Don't be afraid of a little trig.  au means astronomical unit.  Lookit up.
Would you like to know how to derive a parsec conversion number for yourself?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I have only scanned the local space discussion, but lots of
cool facts there.  Get this:  At JPL we are designing an
interferometric telescope system that will image Earth-like
planets within 50ly.  (15.29pc)

As it is, we are looking for blue fuzzies around Sun-like stars.

And that's the real deal, man.  Totally blows my mind.

Check out www.jpl.nasa.gov and look under origins, I think.

Very cool Mark.  I heard astronomers had proved the existence of
several large planets around a nearby star, but had no idea JPL could
build a telescope to image them.

Simply amazing.

I guess we'll soon know exactly which star systems to send probes to
in the future.

The question is this:

If the first probes take hundreds, if not thousands of years to reach
a nearby star system and we include the time it takes for the data to
be sent back.  Which scenario is most likely?

Will human civilization survive that long?  Avoiding nuclear or
biological war, pollution, or some natural catastrophe.

Or will Human civilization advance quick enough over the next
millennium or more, that we actually reach that star system by
spacecraft long before our first probes do?

Interesting philosophical questions do myself anyways...

<ICS>