 Space / 39303
Re: I am not a nazi.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 04:40:33 GMT

In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:
I am not a nazi [ker-SNIP]

Richie,

     You are not a nazi.  This I believe.

     You meant to show something other than the impression many people got from
your MOC - this too I believe, especially so after this last post.

     Before going further, please let me state that I've enjoyed your ships and
Port Brique MOCs.  I've never built or displayed anything quite as good, and
look forward to your sharing more with all of us.

     It *wasn't* apparent from your recent Schpiffkraft MOC post, though, that
you were exploring space building techniques, or that you were out to do
anything other than shock people.  None of this was very clear - it *appeared*
that you were glorifying nazism with a simple construction.  The comments in
your descriptions *apparently* supported this belief - I doubt I'm the only one
who thought so.  As I've mentioned before, if this was meant to be a joke, it
was not very apparent to people in the community.

     As an example, what might people think if someone were to post a MOC (with
no other context) entitled "Rip It Good" showing a modern-day Jack the Ripper
look-alike holding a knife over a woman?  And what if in the descriptions was
one that said "Jack laughs gleefully at what he will soon do"?  I believe that,
with no other context, no recent events alluding to other MOCs with similar
subject matter, and no outright explanation that this MOC was meant to be some
sort of dark humor, that many people would be offended by the apparent image of
a notorius murderer about to commit a heinous crime.  And I believe they'd say
so.  There are existing MOC's showing murders; but in at least one example, the
builder makes it clear that the MOCs illustrate stories from widely-read
literature, and gives reference to that literature.

     Also, there are MOCs based on ficticious totalitarian regimes, but the
builders make it somehow apparent that their MOCs are meant to be taken
tongue-in-cheek.  From what was presented with your MOC, though, this was *NOT*
apparent.  Lacking any other cues from you, people see the symbolism and equate
the meaning of that symbolism with your intent for the MOC, even though this is
not your intention.  There's nothing there to say otherwise, so people
mistakenly accept the symbols presented as your message.  Since your
"description [is] significantly lacking in details of who the space nazis are
and what their ideals are", people look to the symbolism presented to them and
draw their own conclusions.

     You ask "...is building a lego brothel...tantamount to promoting
prostitution?"  While it may not be intended as such, with no communication from
the builder to confirm otherwise, people may indeed believe that it is.  The
nuances of communication, humor, 'smack', and the like aren't always understood
by people, and certain subjects will likely inflame public outcry.  It's not
that there is an "arbiter of morality", but that there are common socially
accepted and unaccepted norms, and different groups have different norms.
Lugnet, as a world community, crosses some of those group boundaries.  What
might be normally considered humorous or thought-provoking in one segment of
society might be considered repulsive in another.

     For some members of Lugnet, depictions of your chosen subject or symbolism
is seen as such.  Your post says, with no hint that it may be written in humor,
"All hail the Space Nazis!".  Similar language is used in all seriousness by
real nazis spewing messages of real hatred even now, even in my hometown in the
middle of the USA.  So with nothing else to guide them, what are people to think
when they read this in your post?  It's not apparent that any other meaning
should be taken from this.

     I don't think you should stop building space MOCs.  And I don't believe
you're a space nazi.  But I do believe you'd get a warmer reception if you more
carefully thought out your subject matter and presentation.

     You'd also likely get more constructive feedback if you asked for it.  It's
not apparent in your post that you're soliciting constructive criticism, or
hoping to explore new building techniques that might be useful in space-themed
MOCs.  You mention that "My MOC has come in for criticism (of its construction)
much harsher (or at least from more people) than any other MOC I can remember.",
and seem disappointed that it's not been given more praise.  But, compared to
some of your other work, it *DOES* seem uninspired and simply-constructed;
slapping a windshield and some landing gear on an essentially rectangular symbol
doesn't do much to give that symbol any 'swoosh factor'.  I've gotten similar
criticism on the construction of some of my MOCs, and I'll bet at one time or
another, most Lugnetters have, too.

     It's a start - you're thinking .space - but it doesn't seem you're doing
much more to explore design or construction. Again, I don't think you should
stop building space MOCs.  Try stuff, share it with the community, and don't
expect that everyone will like or understand what you're doing - the burden is
always on the presenter to be sure that an audience understands the presenter's
communication.

    I hope to see more space stuff from you in the future.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander