 Space / 39297
Re: I am not a nazi.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 04:46:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Richie, I believe you're not a nazy.

Can I try a little story?

I am French, living in Taiwan. The first time I went to China, I brought back a
cheap watch, on which you can see Mao waving his hand, as seconds pass. I
thought it would make a nice xmas present for one of my cousin, because I knew
he aready had a ex-USSR army watch.

But when I showed this watch to one of my Taiwanese friend, she shooted at me,
saying Mao is not funny, Mao is not a humour subject. Mao is a killer, a bad
guy.

I was surprised with her reaction, but then I though that if she came to me with
a Hitler-waving-the-hand-kind-of-watch, I would probably have shooted after her.

Later, still in Taiwan, we saw some commercial for some small electrical
heaters, and guess who was on the commercial? Hitler of course! Nationwide
westerners complained, and the company had to remove these commercials.

And one year later, the DPP (Democratic Progressive Party) made a commercial
targetting the youth, in which you could see... Hitler, presented as quite an
example to follow - his obstination was the positive aspect they were trying to
highlight... DPP's explanation was "You can't understand what Hitler represents
for us". What a poor excuse...

My point is: we all know Staline, Hitler, Mao and many more are bad guys. We all
know they killed millions of people. Sometimes we just forget how deeply concern
people can feel about one of them. Back on my example: I guess very few of you
are shocked by my Mao watch. But if I had started this post saying "I bought a
Hitler watch because I think it's a funny watch", I am not sure you would have
the same feeling.

Richie, I think you've been clumsy with the way you introduced your MOC,
forgetting the background, the context could hurt some people. This definitly
does not make you a nazy. Anyone thinks it does?

If I come up with a red star space-ship in which I seat a Grand Mao minifig,
maybe some of the people calling you a nazi will find my MOC funny. And maybe a
Taiwanese guy would want to kill me for doing this, while he would not have been
shocked by your MOC. You stepped into sensitive western memories, without much
of an explanation about your MOC - I think that's why you got such a harsch
reception.

JP.