 Space / 39288
Re: I am not a nazi.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:53:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:
   I want to learn to build space, badly. But, what’s the point. It seems if you’re a newcomer, unskilled or, even worse ‘uncool’, you are either vituperated (in my case, branded a nazi), or directed to another site.
-snip-

If you want to increase your skills as a space builder, here’s my advice:

1. Stop building things that you know will get a shock value. A fighter with a crucified Christ on the top? A spaceship in the shape of a swastika with Hitler piloting? I have a hard time believing you weren’t trying for some shock value there. Try building something that won’t bring the controversy.

2. Build to impress. Try to make every angle of your MOC look good - the overhead, the underside, the 3/4 angle, the straight-on. Try to make every stud on your ship have a detail or purpose.

3. Try your hand at colors and color combinations that seem different and new. We have the typical subtheme combinations (white/blue, dkgrey/red, etc), but not a lot of people are exploring dkred/dkpurple or dkgreen/dkblue, etc. Pick something that looks good to you and work with it.

4. Ask what you want to know. When you posted the Space Nazis, you didn’t ask for feedback. But more than that, ask specific questions. “How could I make that landing gear better?” will get more responses than “What did you think?” Many spacers are afraid to give honest opinion for fear of hurting someone’s feeling - but if you ask specific questions, you are letting us know that you want the honest feedback.

5. Take what we say seriously. I’ve known people who will ask for my opinion and then tell me that I am wrong. Even if someone tells you to do something that you don’t want to do (like get rid of a color, or a design feature, etc), take their suggestion seriously and understand it.

I’d like to see what you can do when you really try. When you posted the space nazis, I seriously didn’t think you wanted advice or to increase your skills. But you seem sincere here, and so I’d like to promise to do what I can to help you. 95% of Spacers want to help people get better at building - and we all wear our crappy early MOCs with pride.

-Lenny