 Space / 39290
Re: I am not a nazi.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:11:56 GMT

In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:

I want to learn to build space, badly.

Heck, don't make that your goal; *I* build space badly, and it's nothing to
aspire to.  Instead, you should try to learn to build space well!

One piece of semi-serious advice that I can offer for a fledgling spacer is to
attempt variations on an existing theme.  In my case, I've made a number of
MOC's generally adhering to the Blacktron vibe but with distinct differences
that make the creations my own.  If you set constraints for yourself (e.g., "I
won't use any 2x2 slope bricks" or whatever) you force yourself to be innovative
in your choice of parts.  And every time you force yourself to solve a problem
in a new way, you give yourself a new avenue for your creativity.

And by all means check out other people's MOC's for ideas--they may have solved
problems that you haven't even encountered yet!  But if you adopt someone else's
idea, make sure that you give adequate credit for it, like an explicit "thank
you to Joe Schmo for the landing gear" or maybe a link to the page where you
first saw Joe's design.

But, if I am not a nazi, then what is the fuss all about? Why are there 130 or
more posts in the thread (which has persisted for over a week)? Part of that
fuss is not related to my MOC at all, with various extraneous issues being
brought in, and completely weird stuff like demands to know what competitions I
hadn't entered my MOC into, harping on my typos, and even a comment on how
unfair it was that my MOC had generated so much attention, while other more
worthy (but seemingly less controversial) MOCs were ignored.

I read about half of that discussion and participated in it obliquely, and my
sense is less that people thought you to be an actual Nazi then that they
thought that you handled the subject with a curious lack of sensitivity.
Reading your current post leads me to believe that this was unintentional on
your part and that you really just wanted to build a clever MOC.  I think that
Lenny has correctly identified your tendency to aim for shock value, but that's
a relatively minor weakness that I think you can overcome.

Many people seemed to have jumped to conclusions (which are incorrect) as a
result of my MOC posting; But as Freud once said to me “Sometimes a cigar is
just a cigar”.

Sure, but sometimes a cigar is a big, smoldering phallus, too.  The problem is
that it's difficult to know what it represents in any particular case,
especially lacking other context.

I've been thinking about it, and I believe that I've come up with a way that you
can recuperate your swastika-craft and perhaps clarify your actual position re:
Nazism.  Here goes:

You might try making an MOC "Museum of Failed Ventures" (like a Hall of Shame)
that would give you a chance to showcase your building talent with a range of
subjects and would also allow you to make satirical commentary on a range of
issues.  Consider including "The Edselship" or maybe "The Betamax Shuttle" or
maybe even something more obscure like "The Lamarck Flier."  You could include
the swastica-craft in a context of other failures, and viewers would then have
no doubt about your opinions re: Nazism.

I remember an episode of The X-Files, where Mulder said “People think the devil
has horns and a tail. They're not used to looking for some kindly man who tells
you what you want to hear.”

Well, that's fine if you don't mind being bitten by a bunch of snakes.

Keep building and keep sharing.

Dave!