 Space / 37637
Re: Putting downt the Riot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:36:47 GMT

Wow, 15 spotlight reviews! And while everyone is busy with holiday shopping and traveling, no less. But I must say, rarely has a MOC been so deserving.

Astounding, I think, sums it up. I mean, I was not truly in the Christmas spirit until I viewed this MOC, Keith, and I thank you for that.

The architecture and overall vision here are incredible. The Iron Reich garden (within a wall, naturally) is inspirational, and the preponderance of smooth surfaces and perfectly intergrated diagonal walls is just sweet.

Your photography is also improving greatly. A couple of these shots, here and here have that classic Brick Testament sharp-focus-foreground and blurred background that really makes you feel like you’re in the minifig’s universe, seeing things from their prespective. They look like stills out of movie more than photos of a MOC. Awesome.

I have to agree with others (and yourself) that the “rioters” could look more “rioty”. I know from experience that setting up minifigs on smooth surfaces is a bitch, but I think simply raising their little minifig fists up in the air would have a nice impact without making them exceedingly hard to balance the little buggers. That, and an angry face or two placed prominently near the camera would probably work. Then again, the placidity of an Iron Reich “riot” is spooky in an of itself.

I loved the inclusion of the Black separatists here--this you pulled off perfect. It’s subtle and brilliant. What is their plan? You just don’t know.

Thanks for another ass-kicking, and merry Christmas!

-Brendan Powell Smith