 Space / 36948
36947  |  36949
Subject:
My entry for the Intergalactic Space Wheels Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:45:55 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

My first real attempt to build a space vehicle since my dark ages, I noticed have a tendency to build larger models than I have pieces for but in a way that makes it even more challenging! It was fun to build something different than I usually do and I think it’s great that people arrange all kind of contests to keep one busy. Specially space themed ones! ;)

Even if most of the Intergalactic space era battles takes place in space some vehicles is still needed on the battleground. On many planets wheels are the most efficient way to get around. So behold, the futuristic IGMLRS! (InterGalactic Multiple Launch Rocket System). With it’s awesome firepower consisting of 41 long range rockets (with a multitude of warheads) and two additional intercontinental rockets it’s a feared competitor on the battlefield.

Operated by a crew of 4 plus 2 droids it’s a very efficient unit on the ground. The crew consists of one group leader, one driver and two communications officers. To their help are two droids capable of taking care of most of the outside work so the crew can concentrate on the mission.

The vehicles main weapon is the large capacity rocket system consisting of 41 rocket tubes that’s stored in a cartridge type of container for fast reload. Cartridges can be delivered by supply dropships and changed by the droids. The cartridge system also allows a wide range of weapons to be launched by the same vehicle.

To protect the vehicle against near range attacks it has a high capacity boltgun turret on the roof, but foremost it will use it’s sophisticated surveillance system to detect enemies long before they can detect them and if possible avoid ‘face to face’ combat by hiding or by moving to another area.