 Space / 36420
Re: Cool stuff, Joel!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:35:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Simmons wrote:
The Siberia is a wealth and wonder of SNOT work.  I echo Peter's comments
that it's difficult to tell how and where pieces come together.  There's
some very clever layering and detailing.  I especially like how you added
another 1x8 plate on the outside edge of the Classic Space wing just behind
the cockpit.  I was wondering how you got the slopes to attach to that angle
until I figured it out.  I love the angled cockpit!  There's just studs
goin' in all directions!

The Endeavor is also very groovy.  I love the notion of "Space Pirates" and
I think that you captured the high-tech/low-tech combo very well.  The tan
radar dishes as sails are a wonderful example of this.

My only suggestion for future MOC's would be to get yourself a tripod.
Photographing Lego is almost (or possibly more!) challenging than building
with it.  However, you can eliminate a LOT of fuzzy pictures by making sure
the camera is always firmly stabilized.  I'm still learning how to take good
pictures, and I've had my website up for several years!  I usually devote an
entire afternoon or sometimes an entire day for pictures, since I often end
up using less than half of the first batch of shots.  Just like a good MOC,
you can't rush a good picture!

My only criticism would be to make sure you shrink down all your photos.
The last one of the Siberia is HUGE.  On the other hand, it did help me to
figure out how you did some of the SNOT work, so that's cool.   :-)

Keep 'em comin'!

David Simmons
xenobuzz@earthlink.net

Thanks for the comments! The SNOT on Siberia just came together from the engine
and forward, though it was a little tricky with the internal structure, but that
worked out well in the end. The hull's SNOT was pretty fun to do but totally
emptied my collection of white slopes and wedges. The cockpit, on the other
hand, was quite hard to get stable and simple, and is still a bit too complex.

The Endeavour is actually the first cross-theme MOC Ive ever built, so I'm
pretty satisfied with it. Only wish I had more brown parts..

A tripod, that's a good idea, I took these photos standing on my bed an the
models on a shelf.. Unfortunately, I have no digital camera of my own, so I
can't take photos very often. And the light proved to be quite tricky as well..
Some advice would be much appreciated!
And about the size, I shrunk most of the pictures to a fairly good size, except
that last one which is in the same resolution as when it was taken. I thought it
would be easier to see the details in hi-res. And that picture was the only (of
about twenty from the same angle) that wasn't extremely fussy.
Once again, thanks for the comments (and advice)