 Space / 35961
Re: SHOTTLE!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 04:31:57 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Crowley wrote:
   I tried using Goo Gone and some other citrus-type remover, but I noticed the they often clouded the clear canisters up (I’m guessing that the citric acid in the remover eats away at the plastic surface slightly).

Did you wash the Goo Gone off afterwards? I do (by hand with a tiny amount of dish soap, though glass-cleaner will also work) because I don’t like the slick oily feel, but I know that citrus-based cleaners will cloud the surface of ABS over time, so it stands to reason that it could do the same to other plastics. I’ve never had any problem with mine getting clouded. Also, if you’re VERY careful, you can re-gloss the surface of some plastics by using a heat source (get it too hot and it’ll deform the surface, though). We’ve been able to remove scratches in 3/16” PET-G by gently heating its surface with a heat gun (think industrial hair-dryer), but the thinner the plastic is, the less room you’ll have for error. I wouldn’t try this with ABS, since it’s hygroscopic, and you could end up making bubbles form in the plastic, but PET-based plastics won’t absorb moisture, so they’re safe in that regard.

Anyways, if you ever delabel Kraata pods, you’ll also discover that since they have choking hazard information printed on the inside of the label, the printing sticks to the surface of the pod when you peel the label off. The freezer trick significantly reduces the amount of print deposits in addition to pulling much of the adhesive away, and Goo Gone takes the remaining ink off pretty easily.