 Space / 35958
Re: SHOTTLE!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:12:33 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Kevin Heckel wrote:
   So, how did you go about getting rid of the label adhesive that they so generously slathered all over the container?

Goo Gone works pretty well. You can also reduce the amount of goo that you need to clean off by chucking it in the freezer for a few hours before you peel the label free.

I tried using Goo Gone and some other citrus-type remover, but I noticed the they often clouded the clear canisters up (I’m guessing that the citric acid in the remover eats away at the plastic surface slightly). The way I do it now leaves the surface perfectly clean and without any greasiness or odor (like the liquid removers can sometimes leave). The only downside is that it’s pretty time consuming and tedious, but in the end it’s really worth it:

(1.) SLOWLY peel the label off by hand. Don’t worry if you leave behind tons of tackiness on the surface, you can get that off later. Just try not to leave any paper attached. Even the tiniest bits here and there just make it harder later, so take your time and just leave behind only the tacky adhesive residue.

(2.) Get a roll of pretty strong tape. Not Scotch Tape, but a big roll, like packing tape (which I use) or maybe even duct tape. Cut off a strip a few inches long (something you can easy grab and manage with one hand), and repeatedly press it to and remove it from the tacky surface of the canister. Each time, you’ll pick up a little bit more of the sticky residue, leaving behind clean, clear plastic. You’ll have to have to use several strips of tape to do a whole canister, because the strips stop working so well after they’ve picked up a lot of adhesive.

Like I said, this is pretty time consuming, but it always works well for me. The sooner you start doing step two after step one, the better, because the adhesive on the canister is still fresh and sticky. Actually, instead of peeling off the whole label all at once, it goes a little faster if you just peel back the label an inch or two, do the tape thing, then peel off the label a bit more, more tape, etc.