 Space / 35947
Re: SHOTTLE!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 04:14:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mike Crowley wrote:
   That settles it: I’m coming over your house to play! ;-)

As odd as this might sound, it’s really not as play-friendly as you might think. I live in a tiny little upstairs apartment (it feels a bit cramped at times, but I don’t have to split the rent, so I don’t have any roommates complaining about the fact that the living room is lined with shelves full of SW action figures, or that there are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hiding in the kitchen cabinets), so a lot of my stuff is packed in storage (SW Micro Machines, SW Action Fleet, all of my BioniWars series...). I haven’t ever really gotten the sorting bug, so many of my spare parts are still stored in their original packaging (yes, this means that I’ve had days when I ended up madly digging through a dozen pods to find a specific piece that I needed). I tried to start sorting stuff. Really I did. I think the point where it fell apart was contemplating how many as-yet-unpurchased sets it would cost me to buy storage tubs for the ones I already had.

   That’s how I get all my Bionicle, too -- on clearance. I usually only pick up a bunch here and there as I need the particular colors for something I want to build, like if I’m running out of green I’ll grab a few more green ones. But, sometimes I’ve just resorted to Bricklink to load up on specific parts in specific colors.

I actually don’t buy as much clearance stuff as I do at MSRP. Other than the KB Va, I know TRU started clearancing Toa and Toa Nuva almost exactly when I started my big BioniWars building spree (only the three Fetts were built well before then, and I might have bought Toa for the Stormie and Vader the day before the sale started). I generally buy at least two of every set soon after they come out so I can build the official models (though Meijer sometimes has the wonderful timing of putting all LEGO product on 20% off sale right when they get new BIONICLE product), and the rest I buy as needed, regardless of whether they’re on sale or not. I geeked out when the Rahkshi came out and picked up about 30 right off the bat so I could raid the remaining 18 for their colored socket joints.

I have used Bricklink for bulk purchases at times. I bought over 100 black friction axle-pins around the time I was building the BioniWars series. I think they lasted just over a month (that’s a big part of the reason I bought out the local KB Va supply). I made a point of stocking up on light- and dark-grey socket joints a while back. Bohrok eyes are probably my favorite part right now, so I’ve often picked up small batches of those, but it’s hard to find some of them in huge quantities, and they’re usually the colors I use the most.

   Thanks for the info about the lids. I guess all my Nuva lids must be the old ones -- they all have the open hole.

I’m not sure when they switched, but I’ve got a Pohatu Nuva pod sitting next to my computer desk (possibly from building Kiki?), and I think I discovered it by trying to drop an axle back through the hole at some point.

   I’ve yet to get any Kraata pods yet, but when I do I’m gonna’ grab a whole bunch -- they look like they’d be fun to work with.

I’ve seen a few interesting MOCs here that used them for storage tanks and such, but not nearly as many as I’d originally expected based on the comments they received shortly after release. I must admit that I use them for much more mundane purposes. I’ve got a few filled with TECHNIC balls and black axle-pins, I used a bunch of them to ferry custom-built minifigs to the last Motor City Comic-Con (you can fit about 3-4 minifigs per pod, depending on their gear), and I discovered that they can just hold eight Kanoka disks per pod.