 Space / 3501
Re: HSF-100 Ibis Starfighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:51:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
From: "Bram Lambrecht" <BXL34@po.cwru.edu>

Beautiful!  Great details, especially the moving ones :)  The design is very
slick and realistic looking...except for that giant gun hanging off the
bottom.  I think it would look much more streamlined and plausible without
it...

I kind of like it. I figure it would serve as an anti-capital ship weapon,
perhaps with limited shots, or some kind of reactor that took time to
recharge in between shots.

As for being streamlined... heck, it's space, man! :^)

   Yeah, that's the one thing that made me do the doggie-head-tilt-
   "rarf?"-manoeuvre.  The giant honkin' ingot.  But it looks great,
   very, well, bludgeony.  Would it be too risque to call your fighter,
   dare I say it, "well-hung?"

In any case, I was mainly trying to make it look as much like the picture as
possible. The belly gun ended up looking somewhat chunkier than the "real"
one.

   I first saw Silpheed in 1989, when I sold computers (and the AT
   was the power machine!).  I spent many long hours drawing ships
   to that design philosophy, although that was in the middle of my
   "dark age" so it never got rendered in ABS.  Great to see that
   someone took on the challenge, at long last!  :)  Silpheed as a
   game was mildly interesting, but the promo art was always very
   cool.

   Now, as for the "convertable fighter" that's been suggested you
   try, you might want to look at another game created by the same
   team that produced Silpheed:  Thexder.  I always liked Thexder,
   it had that same simple design philosophy, with large curves and
   stubby foils...and very interesting and consistent "bad guys."

   *thunk*  There's the gauntlet!  Ha HA!  ;)

   best

   Lindsay.nl (who pines daily for his Lego, away in storage...)