 Space / 32129
Re: EBKD Zhukov Class Assault Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:48:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, James Wilson wrote:
   Lenny,
I really like this one. Contrary to others’ posts, I think the thick, sawtooth-edged fins work with the design. To me, it brings back memories of way-overbuilt Soviet aircraft. Like the designers discovered the fins weren’t strong enough, so they just cladded the leading edges in whatever armor-plate material they had around at the moment.

Thank you!

   My favorite design elements are the four vertical cylinders aft of the main fins - definitely look like they were added on after design, to solve some bug (er, “feature”) that cropped up after it was built.

Actually, those are the four nuclear-tipped torpedos. I’ve been experimenting with non-traditional approaches to torpedos, and thought the proper Eastern Block approach would be to slap the missiles right onto the outside of the ship, and not worry about launch tubes, etc. Like how missiles are stored in a nuclear sub.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Lenny