 Space / 24928
Re: SPECIAL ANNOUCEMENT FOR THE LEGO SPACE FORCE!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:48:35 GMT

In lugnet.space, Matt Hein wrote:
In lugnet.space, Dean R. Hennen wrote:

Then what would I do if the post was 80 posts back?

It's a very similar scenerio, but bumping is not the
answer whether it be 40, 80 or 200 posts backwards.
Unless you posted your creation when the server crashed
or a war started overseas, the code of honor here is
to avoid bumping as much as possible. In my opinion,
it's just poor etiquette, no offense.

   As an old-timer so old, in fact, that this
   FTX thing just plain scares me (and annoys
   me by taking yaway my USENET/VAX three-space
   "PAY ATTENTION TO ME" indent), I can see a
   second point that explains Dean's behavior
   and obstinacy regarding it.

   A lot, and I do mean a LOT, of online fora
   use messageboard systems that rate "threads"
   based on the last post.  It's possible to
   lose important or deserving threads in those
   more generic tpes of discussion boards a
   lot more easily than on LUGNET, and being
   new, he doesn't realize just how different
   the architecture is.  In the majority of
   online discussion systems bumping is common
   and accepted; LUGNET predates those fora
   but is heavily outnumbered by them, so our
   accepted practices may seem indefensibly
   quaint or idiosyncratic.

   That said, bumping one's *own* thread is in the
   same category as trying to second one's own
   motion; not only is it ineffective (or disallowed
   as per Robert's Rules of Order), but it looks
   like unbridled egotism on the part of the poster
   and an accusation of carelessness on the part
   of the readership.  Both are not flattering to
   the poster in the eyes of others.

   Just have faith that your works will get their
   attention as you create and post more, and that
   not every MOC gets a response.  That's the way
   things work, and if it were acceptable to bump
   one's own thread, then half the posts here might
   be "bumps".  That's not fun to read when you're
   paying per minute to read this stuff from the
   tail end of the Earth.

   The main point, though, is:  Welcome to .space,
   Dean!  This is a really friendly and sociable
   bunch, unless you create a ship called the "Galaxy
   Enforcer" without wings.  Then it's a font of
   comedy. ;)

   ObSig:

{M. Aaron Hein}

   Matt, when did you start doing this F. Scott
   Fitzgerald/R. Lee Ermey (who have nothing else
   in common with one another, naturally) thing?

   best

   LFB (creeeak)