 Space / 22333
Re: Moonbase Corridor 2.0 ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:59:51 GMT

"Adrian Drake" <tremor@apk.net> wrote in message
news:HC82MI.150o@lugnet.com...

But what do we do with the dozens of moonbase modules that are already
built?  I'd say that if we want to do a wide corridor standard, we should
have it set back 2 bricks from the edge, so that if we need a coupler from
new to old, it can be incorporated into the new designs.   For attaching • new
to new, we can either have a standard 4 long corridor coupler that we • build
en masse, or each module would also have a two brick thick coupling ring • to
bring them all together.  I kind of like the standard coupler.  It would • add
a small sense of commonality among the entire moonbase.

This way, we won't have to worry about trying to isolate new modules from
old, and those of us with old modules don't have to try to rebuild.

Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com

The adapter would actually only need to be 1 brick wide, so the corridor
connectors would only need to be 1 brick back than usual.  A 2-brick wide
connector could then be used to connect two wide-corridor modules, cutting
down on the need for parts.  Anyone using the wide-corridor design would
need to bring their own adapters if they want theirs to be connected with
the narrow design.

To give a better example of what I'm talking about, I have made some new
MLCAD renderings of the wider corridor:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=37998  (after moderation)

It's a little bit different than my origional design, but it requires less
parts for adapters and allows more space for the moonbase.  The only
problems I can see happening with this design is not in the design itself,
but with people not paying attention to standards.  And cats.  Cats seem to
be capable of mass destruction.  I have to rebuild one of my moonbases
because of them. :p

Before moderation:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markham/Moonbase/Concepts/WideCorridors/mo
d1_00.jpg        -- replace the last two digits with any number within 00 -
09
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markham/Moonbase/Concepts/WideCorridors/mo
d1_10.png

--