 Space / 19708
Re: Displacement Tonnage for Spaceships?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:48:59 GMT

True.  Although if we want to be really accurate, then technically 'volume'
and 'mass' are not the same thing.  I am no science expert, so I don't know
the specific jargon.  But I am pretty sure on this point.  ...Anyway, if
someone were to measure as ship by volume, then I assume the units of cubic
feet or cubic meters would be used.  But what is the unit of measurement for
mass?

mass= gram or kilogram.
(metric weight would be newtons, for standard it is pounds- both are used when
describing force.. ie. 15 pounds of pressure, 20 newtons of pressure).

In my own fake scifi world, I imagined that ships would be designated by their
gravitational pull.  Remember that gravity is a function of the curvature of
spacetime due to mass (and mitigated by density[1]).

This would be important since so much of fictional spacetravel uses gravity in
some form (think gravity wells, blackholes, event horizons, etc), and the
ship's own gravity would be important in that regard.

How would this transfere into ABS? I guess by weighing the ships (because
earth's gravity is relatively constant, we can determine the mass).  The
problem I have with Jon's SHIP definitions (which is essentially more than 100
studs in any direction) is what if we've got a ship that is 80 pegs by 80 pegs
(like the Zhang-he http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=18806 ).  Clearly such a
ship should be classified a SHIP, but it doesn't fit the 100 peg definition.
Or what if we've got a ship 4 studs wide, 5 bricks high, and 120 studs long?
Clearly not a SHIP, but fits the definition.

but weighing everything isn't always do-able in the easiest sense, so there
goes that idea... hee hee hee

-lenny